Home

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Out of the Frying Pan and into the Fire.

After 2 months of cloth diapering, we've taken the dive into cloth wipes tonight.

To start things off, I made
A Very
Basic Wipes Solution...
2 c. very warm water
2 tsp. baby wash
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. Burt's Bees Mama Bee Body Oil with Vitamin E


From what I have read, I do want to switch from the Burt's Bees to tea tree oil for its anti-fungal properties, but I didn't have any in the house, and I just wanted to get my feet wet in getting cloth wipes together (we only have 24 for now-- I'll be ordering some more asap so that we use cloth wipes full-time).
Basically, I heated the water in the teapot, poured two cups into a measuring cup, added the rest of the measured ingredients, stirred them up, and poured the solution over the wipes. We let it sit for a few minutes so that the wipes could soak up all the goodness and cool a bit. Honestly, I'm not worried about keeping wipes warm.

How are the wipes set up?
Thanks to The Feminist Breeder and her awesomely-clear method of wipe-folding, they're nestled all snuggly-wuggly in a disposable wipe container so that they pop up just like disposables.
It is fairly simple to set up-- just lay a wipe flat and place another wipe halfway over it.
Then, fold the first wipe over, overlapping half of the second wipe.
Then, add another wipe on top of the fold.
Then, fold the wipe below over, overlapping half of the third wipe.
Etc. Etc. Etc.
Get the Feminist Breeder's awesome step-by-step directions here.

We've done two or three changes with the cloth wipes so far tonight, and we love them. They are gentle on Gabe, and they are easy to use. How wonderful to just plop the wipes into the diaper pail with the dirty diapers!


I'll keep you posted if I have any Eureka moments as we further our journey in cloth wiping.

1 comment:

  1. We also use cloth wipes! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bum Genius bamboo wipes :) They are like washcloths :) We also fold like you do and keep them in a pampers wipe box. I bet you are going to really enjoy your wipes!

    http://thepurebaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete