Home

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pump it for Haiti, Ladies.


Breastfeeding Mommies, Unite!

Donate your milk (if you can)!


You can help preemies and babies in the United States and in Haiti by taking the time to donate milk. A lot of the water in Haiti is contaminated right now, so donated milk is crucial to the survival of newborns near the earthquake site. And as for the benefits for U.S. preemies, you can read about them here.

You can donate your milk to the nearest Human Milk Bank Association of North America. Please call 1-866-998-4550 or visit: http://www.hmbana.org/.

The closest milk bank to me is in Ohio (this bank sent the first batch of human milk to the USNS Comfort just yesterday, and you can get updates on milk going to Haiti here.) so there will be some shipping work involved with donating milk. I don't have to pay for the shipping, though. This is what I do have to do-- so you know what to expect when you call the milk bank:
1. Initial Phone Interview Health Screen
2. 4 Pages of Paperwork (involving you and your baby's health)
3. Blood Test (I am responsible for finding the place to get this done pro bono or I have to see if my health insurance will cover it (I really hope that works out.), but the milk bank sends all of the materials.)
4. Donate at least 200 oz. of milk from 3 months prior to the ship date. I am now to relabel and label my milk with my last name, my son's birthdate, and the expressed milk date.

I still need more information regarding the shipping process of the milk (seeing as I have only completed Step 1 at this time), but I am sure I will get more information once I am officially a qualified donor. I am so happy to be doing this. Stay tuned for updates on the process!

Gotta go now... time to pump!

1 comment:

  1. Wish my supply was high enough that I could donate....

    ReplyDelete