Home

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Book Notes: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

It's summertime, and for me, the heat has always inspired me to read (even when it was required for school).


This summer I've been digging into some sweet green reads. Here is my first suggestion from a line-up of good books. I am about 120 pages into this one, and it is simply beautiful.





Animal, Vegetable, Miracle takes you on Barbara Kingsolver's (as in The Poisonwood Bible, The Bean Trees, Prodigal Summer, etc.) first year journey of serious local eating. No, not just the farm down the street, but a move across the country from urban Arizona to rural Virginia and a life of eating only from farm markets and her family's true, free-range farmland. Beyond Kingsolver's lyrical writing on asparagus and morel mushrooms from a family-living perspective, the book shares fact-based information on the destructive and unhealthy modern food processes of America. It also shares lovely recipes.

If you pick up any book this summer, let it be this one. It leaves me feeling calm, inspired, and even a little hungry. I cannot wait to read the rest of her yearlong account.

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog tonight. I thought AVM was a great book especially the chapters on asparagus and turkeys. I am also a young mom, my son was born in January. I went back and read some of your old posts. I laughed a lot as I went through similar situations! I just restarted my blog today, stop by sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete